Last Friday, I took part in a Team Fatbird‘s Sundown Marathon Route Familiarisation Run as part of my preparation for the May Sundown Marathon. I estimated more than 60 runners turned up for this community run, which began around 9pm. This is quite an impressive turnout for an event that was promoted mainly via Facebook and the word of mouth.
The running route (linked below) started from ECP Car Park C4 and went along the parts of the Eastern Coastal Park Connector Network. It offered runners an opportunity to experience the sights and sounds of the eastern suburbs including Siglap, Tampines, Pasir Ris and Loyang.
Good thing, there were committee members from Team Fatbird dispersed among the different running packs. One’s concentration can take a serious beating during a long distance overnight run. Anthony, David and the other Team Fatbird run pacers played an important role to lead the various running packs, chit chatting along the way and keeping motivation high among the trainees. A special mention goes out to Max for providing taking pictures of the runners along the route. The photos opportunities brought out the smiles of many.
Almost 4 hours 30mins later, drenched in perspiration and really yearning for my bed, I finally arrived at the finishing line. Ah Beng and Suan made the tiredness almost disappear with their wonderful hospitality with food and drinks donated by others.
This well attended run is a great testimony to the enthusiasm, dedication and generosity of the Singapore running community. To all who had donated resources to organise this event and participated in this run, THANK YOU!
Pictures taken by Max Ang (feetoffurry)
This page (mainly for my personal record keeping) will be regularly updated as I sign up (confirmed) for more events.
- 22 Feb 09- Singapore Tribob Sprint Aquathlon (750m swim, 5km run)
- 7 Mar 09- Singapore Biathlon (1500m swim, 10k run) Absent
- 24 May 09 – PAssion Run 2009 (15k run)
- 30 May 09- Adidas Sundown Marathon (42k run): Timing (), Photos(Here), Report()
- 28 Jun 09- Kuala Lumpur Marathon (tentative)
- 1 Australian race (tentative): Geelong Half Marathon (19 Apr)/ Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon (17 May)/ Gold Coast Marathon (5 July)/ Sydney Running Festival (20 Sep)/ Melbourne Marathon (11 Oct)
- Singapore Army Half Marathon – tentative
- Borneo Marathon 2009 (11 Oct) -tentative
- OSIM Singapore Triathlon – tentative
- Angkor Wat International Half Marathon 2009 (6 Dec) – tentative
– Melbourne Flying Pig (by billadler)
My June – Dec 2008 Singapore Running Event Schedule
- Saucony 100PLUS PAssion Run 2008 (8 Jun, East Coast Park) – 15k (Done)
- Vgo Mount Faber Run (15 Jun, Mount Faber) – 10k (Race info) (Done)
- Citi Milk Run 2008 (6 Jul, River Valley Green) – 9.4k (Done)
- 2008 Mizuno Wave Run (27 Jul, Bedok Reservoir) – 10k (Race info) (Done)
- Run NUS 2008 (17 Aug, National University of Singapore) – 10k (Done)
- SAFRA Singapore Bay Run & Army Half Marathon (24 Aug, Downtown) – 21k (Done)
- Nike The Human Race 10km (31 Aug, Downtown) – 10k (Done)
- Swing KPE (14 Sep, Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway) – 10k (Done)
- Run for Hope (5 Oct, East Coast Parkway) – 10k (Absent – Overseas)
- Melbourne Half Marathon (12 Oct, MCG) – 21k (Done)
- New Balance Real Run 2008 X-Terrain Challenge (19 Oct, Changi) – 10k (Done)
- Swissotel Vertical Marathon (16 Nov, Swissotel the Stamford Hotel) – 73 stories (Done)
- Singapore Marathon 2008 (7 Dec, Marina Bay) – 42.195k (I think I lost my marbles when I clicked the “Submit” button) (Done)
Last weekend, I caught up with Boon Tiong “BT” (a fellow Singaporean, friend and Visual Studio Team System MVP) for the 2007 Sydney Running Festival. BT is ultra fit and completed the half marathon around 1hr 36mins (Official, please drug test him <g />). I participated in the 9km run as a warm up event for the upcoming Melbourne Half-marathon. Here are some of the event photos. Click on the images to view them in larger dimensions.
Provisional result – 320th out of 1115