This week at the Lowy Institute’s Distinguished Speaker Series, former Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser shared candour and shrewd insights into meaning of liberalism in the global context, small countries’ relations with super powers and the importance of due processes adherence .
The recent advacements in the field of medicial and biotechnology offer humanity longer lives, but what are the social, physical and economic implications for a larger and aging population?
Dr Ian Goldin (Director, James Martin 21st Century School) addressed these issues during his introduction to the risks and opportunities in the 21st Century during the recent University of Cape Town Vice-Chancellor’s Open Lecture.
Since the economic downturn I have almost stopped buying CDs and moved onto podcasts for my aural stimulation. An audio diet laced with humour, news, business and commentary. Here is a list of my absolute must-hear feeds:
1. Hamish & Andy – My fav commute-time comedy duo from Melbourne. Give these guys a try and I reckon you will become a fan too.
2. American Public Media’s Marketplace. Great way to get an summary of Wall Street overnight performance and news.
3. NPR’s Planet Money. How to make sense of all these news from the Wall Street to the White House.
4. Robert Reich’s Commentary. Prof Robert Reich teaches public policy in Berkeley and served as Labour Secretary during the Clinton administration
5. The Story is about “people whose lives are intersecting with significant issues in the news.” The programs has previous discussed about how older people coped when their unemployment benefits ran out (foreclosures), how our past can come back and haunt us via Facebook (Facebook), and how good people can be lured and trapped in money laundering (white collar crimes).
6. BBC’s World Business Daily. An audio documentary of the world of business.
7. ABC’s 7.30 report (video). A snapshot of current issues affecting Australia.
8. London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) public lectures and events. Perfect if you enjoy a detailed discussion of the world around us.
9. Sky News Business Report. My 25mins update on the Australian economy and AUD performance.
Does anyone know of an informational podcast feed from Singapore? It’s really difficult to find a Singapore business or social commentary podcast. I would really listen to a Singapore Mandarin podcast after MM Lee is now reminding us the importance of speaking Mandarin.